Salmon: The SuperFood
Often referred to as a superfood, our salmon is packed full of nutrients, esssential for good health.
LONG CHAIN OMEGA 3 FATS
As well as being a superb and nourishing food rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, Regal King Salmon is a natural source of healthy long chain omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are considered an essential fatty acid, necessary for human health, which the body cannot produce itself.
Omega 3 fatty acids can be broken down into three types:
1. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) – from marine sources
2. Docosahexanoic acid (DHA) - from marine sources
3. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – from plant sources
There is far more evidence supporting the health benefits of marine-based EPA and DHA over ALA, both of which salmon contains high levels of. Some of these health benefits include:
- Reduction in cardiovascular disease
- Lowered cholesterol levels
- Lowered blood pressure (particularly among those with elevated blood pressure)
- An improvement in rheumatoid arthritis
- Improved cognitive/mental function
The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times (two servings) a week. Each serving is 3.5 ounce cooked, or about ¾ cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines and albacore tuna are high in omega 3 fatty acids.